- Summer Season, November to April, Freedom Walking
- Transport Service $35 per person, round trip
- Summer Crossing Package from $82 per person, includes 2 nights and transport
Tongariro Alpine Crossing Transport Service
- Pick up from The Crossing Backpackers, outside reception
- Arrive at the Mangetepopo carpark to start the track
- Get picked up from the Ketetahi Carpark at the finish of the track
- Transport back to The Crossing Backpackers
- Book this when you book your accommodation, or at reception when you arrive
- Bookings are essential, and need to be done no later than 8.00pm of the evening before
- If the transport service is cancelled due to bad weather you will be refunded the transport portion of your booking
This service is strictly weather dependent. With several weather factors contributing to the safety of this track, we rely on the knowledge and experience of the transport provider to ensure your safety.
The Shuttle driver will go through everything you need to know including the pick up times for the day, much of this is safety related so please pay attention.
- This Service is $35 per person and includes
- Free Secure Parking all day
- Free Tea & Coffee on return
- Free use of Showers etc on return
- Free use of other lodge facilities up until 7pm, excluding accommodation
This rate applies to all guests booking 1 night stays, campers or bookings made through booking channels e.g. Booking.com, Agoda, Hostelworld, Gomio etc.
- 2 Nights Accommodation and Transport per person
- Available on all room types
- Transport portion of Package booking only $30 per person
- Upgrade to package on standard accommodation booking (made through our website) available on request
What to take
Before you start the track it is recommended you have the following:
- 1.5L water (minimum)
- Wind-breaker jacket
- 2 warm tops
- Hiking boots / shoes
- Hat or Cap
You may also benefit by taking:
- Spare pair of socks
- Sticking plasters
- Extra energy snacks eg chocolate, nuts, trail mix or the like.
- Cell phone
- Walking pole(s)
The weather conditions are highly variable and impact significantly on your safety. Department of Conservation (DOC) has determined the weather criteria which all Transport Providers are advised to adhere to.
- Metservice weather forecast is used as the benchmark to make decisions as to whether trips should take place.
- Suggested weather levels where unguided trips should be cancelled:
- Wind level forecasted to be 60 km per hour or greater
- Precipitation (showers or rain or snow) and/or mist, and wind at 50 km per hour or greater
- Widespread precipitation and/or mist, no wind
About the Tongariro Alpine Crossing
The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is described as the best one-day walk in New Zealand. This amazing 19.4km walk will take you through a fascinating lunar-lake landscape full of active volcanoes, mountain springs, craters and lava flows.
The Tongariro Alpine Crossing track winds up the Mangatepopo Valley to the saddle between Mt Tongariro and Mt Nagauruhoe. It climbs to Red Crater (1886m), then drops down to the Emerald and Blue Lakes. The track then descends around the northern slope of Tongariro, meandering to the Ketetahi Hut.
The full walk is moderately challenging and it will take the average person about 5-8 hours to complete depending on fitness, allowing time for photos and side-tracks. Taking the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a real adventure and an experience not to be missed!
The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a real must do for anyone who enjoys beautiful scenery and a bit of a challenge. Thousands of people do it every summer. It can be done in winter too, but then it is only recommended as part of a guided group.
The Crossing Backpackers has plenty of secure car parking. You are welcome to leave your vehicles here whilst you expereince the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
Be prepared for anything as the weather in the Tongariro National Park can be extremely changeable. In the summer months, you can expect temperatures from 5° C to 35° C, and in winter from about -10° C to 10° C.